Friday, February 10, 2012

Sharing the BIG News with Daddy

Friday, November 25, 2012

I knew I was pregnant. My mom knew I was pregnant. But, my husband Jon (aka daddy) was still blissfully unaware. And I was dying to share the news! I called him as soon as he was out of work, trying to act normal, but it was so hard not to spill the beans. Waiting to tell him that we created a life together made for the looongest hour of my life.

When Jon finally pulled into the driveway I raced to meet him at the door. I never do that but, oddly, he didn't seem to notice. I corralled him into our bedroom as soon as he got inside. I was surprised that he didn't notice my odd behavior. It makes me think maybe my behavior is strange more often than I would like to admit. Eh, whatever.

So, I had him corralled but I had no idea how to share this news. I mean, this was HUGE news! I had an hour to prepare but couldn’t think because my head was spinning the whole time. So, true to form, I did it on the fly. 

Here’s how it happened:

I casually mentioned that we got a package. Jon asked, "Did we?" And I said, "Yeah, you want to see it?" He said sure so I reached into my nightstand drawer, pulled out the pregnancy test and tossed it to him. He fumbled with it for a few seconds trying to figure out what in the world this "package" was. When he finally saw the readout, he looked at me with shocked confusion and asked if it was real. I assured him it most definitely was real, at which point we both burst into tears.

We walked around the bed to each other and hugged tighter than we ever have before. Jon looked at me and said, "You're sure about this? And you're okay with this?" I said I definitely was. Then he told me he hoped we had a daughter who was just like me. We cried and hugged some more and basically basked in the moment. Then Jon said he needed a few minutes to pray...so I left him to it. I must admit, I did peek back in the room just to have a look.

Sharing the news that we were going to be parents was probably the sweetest, most intimate moment I've had with Jon. And I can honestly say I've never loved him more. He handled the news like a champ and it makes me cry just to remember it. There’s one thing I can say for sure…our baby is loved and wanted – and we haven’t even met the little one yet. 

And if we have a little boy, I hope he's just like his daddy. 

2 comments:

  1. You didn't mention how you threw the test stick across the kitchen table and started crying when you told me!!! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm totally crying!!!!! (lovekyle)

    ReplyDelete